Save Money this Holiday Season – Buy These Common Holiday Items at Your Favorite Thrift Store
The holidays, as wonderful as they are, can be a high-stress and expensive time of year. One way to combat the stress and expense is to shop at your favorite local thrift stores. Thrift stores can offer a relaxing shopping environment and save you a lot of dollars. While Christmas items are plenty this time of year in thrift stores, there are a handful of items you should only buy from thrift stores during the holidays:
- Christmas Trees. Not all thrift stores carry Christmas trees, but those that do offer real savings over purchasing new ones in a retail store. You can find everything from desk-top size to the largest of trees. Ornaments are also a great value at your favorite thrift shop.
- Wreaths & Greenery. Don’t be fooled by that slightly squished wreath. With a little love and care and maybe a minor investment in some new ribbon, you can create beautiful greenery for your home at huge savings.
- Tins & Boxes. Are you a holiday baker or a candy maker? Thrift stores have a nice variety of tins and boxes ready for your tasty treats.
- Dishes, Glassware & Mugs. Looking to add a little holiday cheer to your kitchen table? Maybe you’re having a party and would like some Christmas glasses for your eggnog or jingle juice. Your favorite second-hand shop is likely to be brimming with Christmas or holiday kitchenware with designs from elegant to whimsical.
- Christmas Cards. You can often find a great selection of either single cards or boxes of cards. A keen eye can even find some amazing vintage cards.
- Ugly Sweaters & Apparel. Thrift stores are an excellent resource for creating the best ugly sweaters. You can buy pre-made ugly sweaters, or get all the swag you need to make your own. For those who might want to avoid the ugly, there is always a selection of holiday shirts, leggings, Santa hats, and children’s holiday attire.
- Gift Baskets. Baskets are a great way to present holiday goodies or gifts to friends and family. Baskets can be expensive and your thrift shop is likely to have a great selection available.
These examples are just the tip of the iceberg; the list is endless. Holiday lights, yard décor, home décor, wall hangings, and so much more are available to you through shopping at thrift stores. Enjoy and happy thrifting!
WACOSA ThriftWorks! thrift store is located at 310 Sundial Drive in Waite Park, MN. ThriftWorks! is a nonprofit that works for adults with disabilities, building a circle of support that empowers individuals to develop skills, explore and pursue employment, and foster community connections from graduation through retirement. At ThriftWorks! you can shop with confidence knowing your donations stay local. ThriftWorks! Changing Lives One Sale At A Time. www.wacosa.org/thriftworks